Sausage rolls are one of the easiest things to bake, here is a festive take on the all time classic!
- 375g British Sausage Meat (Best from your local butcher!)
- 375g Ready to use puff pastry
- 1 Egg (beaten)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Small jar of cranberry sauce
- 1 Large Onion diced
- 1 Bay leaf
- Pinch of dried sage
- 1 Small grated apple squeezed to remove excess juice
- 50g Grated Cheddar
- Splash of olive oil
- Handful of sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 180c
- In a small pan fry the onion, bay leaf and sage together with the oil until the onions are soft. Take off the heat and allow to cool.
- In a bowl combine the sausage meat, apple, cheese, and onion mix.
- Then unroll the pastry, be sure to work relatively quickly as the warmer the pastry gets the harder it is to work with. Begin by cutting the pastry in half horizontally.
- Evenly cover the pastry with cranberry sauce - not too much! A nice even layer is plenty.
- Place half of the meat mixture into the middle of one half and spread out into a sausage shape ensuring it goes right to the edges.
- Take one half of the pastry and roll over to meet the other side, take a fork and crimp the edges together.
- Brush the large sausage roll with the egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Cut the large roll into desired size I go for roughly 5cm long.
- Place onto a lined baking tray and bake for 20 mins or until golden and cooked throughout (the meat inside should be piping hot)
- Allow to cool and ENJOY!
There we have it! Super easy and super delicious festive food! Let me know whether you make them over on Instagram and be sure to tag me @doodlinglucy5