The Doodling Lucy Eco Promise
Now it's no secret I am a bigger lover of the planet, I am a sucker for a green open space and I want everyone to have the option to appreciate it just as much as I do. So it would seem wrong to begin a business that wasn't ecologically friendly.
That's where my 'Eco Promise' comes in. As I continue to grow and build my small business I am always looking for ways to remain environmentally friendly. It's easy to get swept away with the idea of making money and opting for cheap alternatives but that would be against my core values as person. It's all a learning curve and continuing to work it out as I go along however I extensivley research the companies and other small businesses I use to ensure they have the same environmentally positive attitude as I do!
Currently I have these promises set in stone and hopefully I can continue to give back!
- All of my cards are uncoated which means they can ALL be put in the recycling bin.
- I will never use glitter on my cards and I although I love foiling details I am trying my hardest not to use them on my products. Both glitter and and foil can't be recycled and if you do ever receive a glitter card please rip off the sections with glitter on before popping it into the recycling bin!
- I have ditched the traditional plastic sleeves which cards can often be sent/packaged in and swapped for a compostable alternative. The biofilm/cellofim are fully biodegradable and compostable which means that they break down to CO2, H20 and biomass which can then be reused in the eco system to make new plants. Pop them in the bin and they will bio-degrade in a landfill after 6 months! Or better still pop them on your compost heap to use in your garden
- An eco-friendly alternative to plastic parcel tape I use kraft tape for my parcels. Eco-paper parcel tape is made from renewable kraft paper not from plastic. It's best left on the cardboard boxes and put in the recycling.
- I have all my cards printed in the UK and will never use overseas printers to reduce air miles.
- My new tissue packaging is FSC certified, using acid free paper, meaning when it's decomposing no nasty chemicals will be left behind! It is also created using soy-based inks (yep made from soy-beans!) which is an eco-friendly alternative to petroleum-based inks and is a renewable source - how good is that! Soy inks also have low levels of VOCs - so less air pollution during their drying period
- Whenever I source new suppliers or new products I will always ensure that they are from a sustainable source or materials that are widely recycled and of course I will continue to put cute little recycling messages on the back of my cards to remind people to recycle!
Thank you for choosing my sustainable small business it really does mean the world!